convert: force images to be portrait?
Hagen Rode
2006-05-23 11:13:17 UTC
Hi there

I use imagemagick to convert PDF or PS files into JPGs with the following
command:
"Convert -strip -scene 1 -quality '90%' -density '65%' Filepath
Folderpath/Image%03d.jpg"

Is there any parameter I can pass convert to tell it to always make the
images portrait and never landscape? Even if the PDF doc contains landscape
images?

Many thanks

Hagen
Anthony Thyssen
2006-05-23 23:47:41 UTC
"Hagen Rode" on wrote...

| Hi there
|
| I use imagemagick to convert PDF or PS files into JPGs with the following
| command:
| "Convert -strip -scene 1 -quality '90%' -density '65%' Filepath
| Folderpath/Image%03d.jpg"
|
| Is there any parameter I can pass convert to tell it to always make the
| images portrait and never landscape? Even if the PDF doc contains landscape
| images?
|
| Many thanks
|
| Hagen

Yes there is. Use -rotate '-90>'

The '<' flag to rotate means to only rotate if it is wider than it is
tall. The -90 means rotate anti-clockwaise, use 90 for clockwise.

NOTE: this angle of rotate may seem inverted in the mathematical sense,
until you realise that the y-axis of images is also negated. That is the
Y-axis goes from 0 at the top and positive downward. Thus rotation
angles are inverted.

I have added the above two items to the IM examples on rotation...
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/graphics/imagick6/distorts/#rotate

You may also like to look at rectangular (simple) rotates...
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/graphics/imagick6/distorts/#rect_rotates

Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer ) <***@griffith.edu.au>
"Remember I'm a hologram, don't try these stunts at home."
-- Larry Niven & Steven Barnes, "The Barsoom Project"
Anthony's Home is his Castle http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
Hagen Rode
2006-05-24 16:47:11 UTC
Thanks Anthony

I played around briefly with the rotate flag and it seems that the > and <
operators don't quite work for me as I want them to, i.e. they don't detect
very well when my image needs to be rotated.

But I'll do some more fiddling.

Cheers

-